WAJIR -A Mediation Trip
27JUNE2026
![]() |
| Recent Aeriel View of Wajir Town |
“Iskaashato ma kufto” — “If people support each other, they do not fall.”
I am headed back to Wajir in the Northeastern Region of Kenya. This time to attend some form of mediation between two disputing parties. Nowadays, there are only 2 regular passenger airlines to Wajir; I-fly and Renegade. Limited choice, but gladly, there is an option!
My host deliberately books me on the Renegade flight for its convenience of landing and taking off from Wilson Airport - which is a walking distance from where I stay: not to mention my walking ambition/addiction! I make it in good time for the flight - 930am take-off time.
Its a rather long uneventful flight - a mostly smooth flight during which I slept most of the time and other awaken times I while away reciting the Quran on my reading tablet - (its actually a NOOK). So the few incidents of air-turbulence were abit unnerving ...but two traits help me through these times: Tawakullah (trust in ALLAH) & being a seasoned air traveler!
We land rather roughly. Cross winds! Or is it the thermals resulting from the recent sunrise and the impending scorching weather? Maybe! Or maybe (and almost certainly) incompetence or haste by the Pilot .... but as Shakespeare put it - "All's well that ends well!"
The pilot taxis at maximum ground speed (I wonder what the hurry is for?) on to our parking bay and the mostly local Somali passengers disembark with equal impatience. The elderly women jostle to get ahead of the younger boisterous males in the narrow aircraft aisle. My people from Northeastern Kenya have impatience second to none, and this despite repeated teachings in the Quran on the virtues and importance of patience!
A pleasant sunshine bears upon me as I step onto the taxiway; my dry skin which was cooled by the aircraft air conditioner feels likes it's been dipped into a warm footbath - therapeutic! The temperature is a pleasant 30 Celsius and a strong southerly wind sways the Neem trees. It’s pleasant … different from the usual oven-like situation almost every other time I have visited Wajir.
As usual, I leave the plane last with a gift of extra biscuits. OG the flight attendant, knows me well from the frequent past flights, so I am entitled (or so I think!) and I enjoy the extra treat.
I walk slowly on the taxiway, soaking in the sun and the pleasant breeze and head to the KAA bus to be taken to the outside boundary of the military airport.
The not-too-distant rains' effect is still evident. The birds and butterflies are hoping from tree upon tree and from shrub to shrub. We thank God for the blessings. Despite the economic challenges, people are happy and the animals are happy too and well provided for too.
Sheikh Hassan is waiting for us outside the military airport in a brand new Probox …. KDV! We squeeze our five body frames into the new air-conditioned interior of what is basically a souped-up pickup.
“Ulinunua pesa ngapi hii gari nzuri hivyo?” I ask the elderly wise man who is also the Chairman of the Wajir Jamia Mosque … one of the largest mosques in this bastion of Islamic values and peoples of Kenya. I know this statement will not be taken lightly by coastal peoples…. It’s the truth (and the truth hurts - so no apologies guys; and incidentally I am one you coastal peoples!)
“Ilikua 1.5 million, lakini hii si yangu. Ni ya Academy," adds Sheikh Hassan (implying the madrassah he heads) -- I make a silent note that he had to ensure ownership is clarified just in case any one of us passengers from Nairobi cast any aspersions.
The A/C is working well. And I enjoy the short ride to Wajir Palace Hotel …. Formerly Wajir Hilton. This time I insist upon a larger more luxurious room. I am given Room 209 - the best room in the Hotel.
Outside my room window, a couple of Superb Starlings are noisily fighting over a female, who in turn is least bothered by the attention she is receiving. The Neem Trees swing in the wind as the leaves and branches rustle against each other. I change my shoes into the more comfortable and appropriate 'Sketcher' sandals and head for the meeting for the mediation - I am aware it's going to be a long day. I can almost hear my feet and toes sighing a relief. Open shoes and preferably sandals are necessary in this arid part of Kenya - feet must breathe for comfort!
Time to head to the venue for the meeting. It’s going to be a long day because it’s a mediation meeting between two very stubborn parties! One party guided strongly by Islamic Principles and the other seemingly by commercial interests - or so I think!
We are welcomed with a juice or tea (to your preference) - and I give the 'Special' Camel Milk Tea a wide berth. Even seasoned locals fall victim to the loose motion that results from this laxative! And I am in no heroic mood, nor do I harbor any fancy intentions to prove my macho-ness by indulging in this laxative. So, I opt for Melon Juice - without sugar please! This I sip slowly as frantic efforts are being made by the host to get the meeting started. The touch of cold juice in my parched gullet is soothing; and the sugar from the blended melon silences the hunger pangs.
The mediation meeting is called to order and ground rules set out by the Chairman - he has relatives and friends on both sides of the mediation matter - so fairness is almost certainly guaranteed. And this is where Islamic principles come into play - you will be certain of fairness anywhere in the world where Islamic jurisprudence and judgement or mediation takes place because of fear of sin and the curse of God in case of misuse of responsibility given unto decision makers or judges. This responsibility is almost always without any gift or consideration and despite the lack of monetary gain a practicing Muslim will still discharge his/her duties with fairness.
The negative part - well everyone feels totally entitled and usually tend to dig into hardline positions - and they are all adept at quoting the Quran and the Sunnah of the Prophet (s.a.w). So, let me stress - I do not envy the Chairman in the least - he has a gargantuan task ahead.
Indeed, the meeting drags on. I’m called upon to give my opinion on various matters which I do briefly. Then the arguments and counter arguments drag on. Thankfully interrupted by prayers and lunch.
Lunch is generous portions of rice, ugali, boiled meat, fried fish, a mean sprinkle of veggies and beans. Downed with fresh juice of orange and lemon. Did I mention any greens - yes; my peoples here do not fancy any greens; thus these rarely form part of their diets yet they seem healthy enough and have no prevalent diseases - sometimes I question the Western nutritionists lecturing us on what to eat and what to avoid - yet when you go to their lands - they indulge in everything they forbid us from. It's about time we have our own standards of nutrition, medicines and indeed all aspects of our lives. Tukule bana - wacha waseme!
The meeting reconvenes. More arguments. Heated ones! The chairman has a difficult task as the meeting often descends into shouting matches with speaker after another refusing to stick to rules of time limits on presentations and counter arguments. Again, I don’t envy him. With every presentation I learn something new about human nature. The minds behind the faces. The thoughts that behold the innocent looks. And unfortunately, the folly of religion used as a bulwark to pursue false and frivolous claims and then deny the same by the other party. Human beings will stop at nothing to make a kill. The predatory nature is not limited to the animal kingdom only; it is very much alive even in seemingly honest, decent and religious societies. I am not a saint, but I can see wrong when it happens (and I usually don't shy away from revealing it for what it is). Unfortunately, again my opinions here matter very little despite my best, honest & eloquent efforts. I rest easy knowing that I am blessed with one important quality - and that is I always do my best in my work… and it pays handsomely very often (the gift is inevitably deep satisfaction - and usually not very monetary!). But there are often times even my best efforts fall short of solving difficult situations - for I am human, not an angel.
630pm. Everyone is tired. Meetings can be very draining. We’ve been at it since just before 1pm. The chairman calls a truce. Both sides have dug in and tightened their positions. It’s been a wasted day! A costly day. Each ticket to Wajir costs 30k two way per person. Plus, accommodation, lunch, taxis etc. What a sinful wastage of time and other resources! Time is the most valuable resource we all have; we must never waste it.
The two parties now descend to their own corners as the Chairman closes the meeting. Its loud and raucous. Then an announcement! Another meeting. This time an informal one. The rest is said in quick-fire kiSomali - and I miss the point.
Ali Omar and other elders now hold the new meeting - strictly in kiSomali. They are raising money for one of their many projects in Wajir. I take off discreetly without offending anyone because the conversations are now not understandable! This is the other part of Somali culture I greatly admire - after the mediation, even sworn enemies will unite in case money is to be raised for a mosque or madrassah or to help a sick person. And secondly; however fluent they are in all other languages - they will always prefer to talk in their mother tongue.
I head back to Wajir Palace Hotel for some rest. I have not prayed my evening and night prayers. I am slightly late, but God is not only merciful and understanding but all embracing too.
Prayers in the mosque have ended so I have to pray alone under the whirling ceiling fan. This is a deliberate choice because any other location means to be eaten alive by mosquitoes. The fan whirls noisily overhead and puffs onto me a mixture of somewhat hot and cool air. It will have to do. I am not in the mosque for worldly comforts - I am here to thank Him for the day and the myriad blessings. Prayers achieved and I head outdoors to sample the Northeastern evening.
The moon is almost full. Still waxing, it will be full moon in two days. It’s glorious in the twilight light of the Wajir night. The air is still but cool. A few late boda boda ride past - almost all ridden by down-Kenya peoples (mostly Meru and Kambas). They inevitable slow down to tout me to take me to town or maybe K-corner to sample 'Kenyan" life (loosely translated to mean alcohol and women). I don't partake and so I decline politely.
A few bats swoop in almost random fashion between the electric wires, pylons and trees. They are preying upon the night insects, the Cicadas, and some late and unwary grasshopper that hasn’t settled. Moths also form part of the free natural buffet.
Then a strange sound. The chirping of a bird! What? A bird at this time its almost 730pm!? I am surprised and then I notice a small black bird perching upon the electric wires. It’s the size of a bulbul. Surely, not at night! Then I notice it’s forked tail … it’s a Drongo. This is a pleasant surprise. This is strange behavior from a diurnal bird. This guy is also hunting the night insects and swooping and chirping as he lands upon a juicy meal. This is a first for me - a diurnal bird chasing the night insects well beyond sunset!
Jupiter and other heavenly bodies are now fully up in the night sky. Most of the fainter stars are not visible today because of the hazy sky.
I enjoy the evening walk as I head back to the hotel. We’ve agreed with Ali and Wycliffe to meet up at 730pm for a cup of tea before we retire.
Then from a distance I hear the roar of plane engines. Planes? At this time? Surprising! Then I remember, Wajir is home to an American base just within the military airport. A super secretive and covert facility with no visible activities due to the several layers of fencing, tall sand-filled barricades and artillery proof embankments. They rule the world, so they need these ‘forts’ to secure their interests.
Reminds me that we really never left the medieval times when the wealthy, the large landowners and feudal lords had to secure their lands, wealth and possessions with series of forts manned by heavily armed, ill paid soldiers who were sworn to servitude for little or no pay! The commoners who lived with the feudal lords, served them as would slaves. And the bishops and priests ensured the common peoples are constantly reminded that to serve their lords was divine instruction; failure to adhere was/is sinful! And so life went on. As it does today!
Ali and Wycliffe are already waiting for me at one of the garden tables. The still air is making the temperature go a notch higher but it’s bearable. I settle down and order a glass of avocado juice. This I down with a shared plate of crispy bhajia. We discuss the day’s meeting and the folly of dishonesty among even ‘sworn practicing Muslims’. A lot of Somali culture comes into play. “When a man bites you, you bite back harder!” A saying that came into play today. It was a wasted day! The time, the resources, bitter exchanges, lost tempers … all a waste of time because of failure to meet obligations between contracting parties.
Wycliffe reminds us, “we have an early flight kesho guys, we better hit the sack soon.” I readily agree because mosquitoes have already devoured my feet and ankles which are now burning in several locations.
I head back to my executive room. Number 209. It's a pity I will really not enjoy the larger room apart from the slightly larger bed .. well I chose it so I might as well dream it through the night.
The night rituals have to be done. My supplements, floss and brush teeth, light up the anti-mosquito shenke, charge phones, make my bed, enclose the netting, prepare clothes for tomorrow and pack up what is not needed. This takes a good 30 minutes.
I watch the World Cup replays as I doze off.
The morning adhan at 430am is a creaky voice. It startles me at first. The second takbir, “Allahu Akbar!” now jolts me awake. This is one prayer I endeavor not to miss but not just miss, I also endeavor to achieve it on time and in congregation - the full ritual.
A quick bathroom visit, wudhu and ablutions completed. Sandals on and I march to the mosque reciting the “Yasin” - a chapter of the Quran I try not to miss every morning. I’ve almost memorized it now, so I sweep through the verses as I walk with purpose to thank HIM.
Indeed, this is the day that the Lord has made, so I will rejoice, yes, I will rejoice for the life and myriad blessings.
Breakfast is sumptuous yet simple affair. Boiled eggs, mandazi, potato curry and chicken wings. Over the years, Wajir Palace Hotel has improved in its food quality and quantity. Well done! The one thing they have never gotten right is the tea. It is a dilute mixture of water; a drop of milk and half cooked with a negligible sprinkle of majani chai - you get the point!
Soon it’s time to head back home. The military airport, the well hidden American base and the flight back! Let us never forget to be ever so grateful for the blessings He gives every moment!
Ameen

Masha'Allah, very well put. Thank you 😊
ReplyDelete👍
ReplyDelete