THE POWER OF AL KAHF






"There are few people so stubborn in their atheism who, when danger is pressing in, will not acknowledge the Divine Power." ~ Plato


Many years have lapsed.

My memory is not too clear.

But some of the salient points of the events are very clear.

I was enroute a flight to Mogadishu. It must have been a Friday because I recited the Surah Al Kahf as we took off from JKIA.

I remember sitting next to a Ugandan Soldier. He was in his army fatigues. He was big and muscular. All soldiers are, but this one was a little more hunky and thats why I noticed.

We didn't talk much as the plane took off cos I was busy reciting the Quran.

Soon I finished my recitations and struck up a conversation with the hunk of the Soldier. He is Ugandan from the uniform and the Ug flag on his lapel. UNISOM is clearly stated on the uniform. He is proud and maintaining an aloof stature - lest us lesser human beings strike up a conversation which might just reduce his superior status ... 

He was reminiscing missing home already. Ug is the Pearl of Africa and who wouldn't miss a home such as in Ug. 

The small talk soon veered to his family and life in Ug. He told me about his wife and young children and how much he will miss them. The conversation was more of a monologue but I didn't mind it cos he was pouring out his heart to me. The aloofness had disappeared when he must have realized that other lesser humans are human afterall.

The plane cruised on over Garissa towards Somalia. River Tana was 24000 ft below and meandering through the parched land that makes up one of the poorest counties in Kenya - Tana River County.

 

Then suddenly out of nowhere a massive turbulence hit the plane.

It was a massive one.

I think I saw several passengers ahead airborne in the cabin.

There were screams all over. The food boxes and juice glasses fell off their trays. All the neat work done by the stewards and stewardesses was undone. But this was not at all on anyones mind. 

The Ug soldier grabbed my arm in terror. Whats happening he shouted!!

Somehow, by the grace of ALLAH I was totally calm!

There was a mini pandemonium in the cabin with some screams, muffled shouts and loud conversations in various tongues...

But in all the pandemonium that lasted a few very long seconds .... I remained totally calm. The Ug soldier, yes the hunk of a man was still holding on to my arm ... in terror visible on his cringed face. He was dumbfounded. He kept looking at me and looking around him as though looking for company and commiseration for the panic that had gripped him. He didn't get that panic from me ... I remained calm .... almost cynically calm. There was divine protection upon me!

The turbulence ended as suddenly as it struck.

Babies kept crying. Women kept talking in machinegun-fire Somali language with various levels of panic to excitement.

The mostly Somali passengers now increased the volume of their conversations .. some hurt but thankfully no one was injured seriously. 

When the plane had steadied the stewards came round to check if anyone was really hurt and to see if any help was needed by anyone. Thankfully no serious physical damage happened to anyone ...

The plane cruised on Eastwards to Mogadishu.

The conversations were no longer the elite and arrogant conversations one encounters in flights - everyone was reminded of their humanness and everyone was clearly aware of how delicate life is and how precious too!

I think it was an sms from God to remind us every so often that we shall truly return to Him!

So what's the point .... I immediately realised that my total protection and calmness was a result of my recitations of Surah Al Kahf.

And there is a teaching that those who recite Surah Kahf on Fridays- ALLAH swt will protect them.

And this is what happened.

 So all the millionaires and big soldiers were scared and terrified whilst a simple soul that recites Surah Al Kahf was totally calm.

 So my loved ones let us all make this into a habit and teach our young ones.

Acknowledge Him and He wil be your protector throughout your life.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WELCOME

WEBUYE: THE JOURNEY TO A WEDDING

THE UNSPOILT NORTH & THE SAMBURU 5

CHASING THE SUNRISE: MT OLOLOKWE

NARO MORU AND THE MOUNTAIN

THE NORTHWEST OF KENYA - Human Endurance, Harsh Climate

THE DANGEROUS ROAD

JUBA & THE NILE

LAMU & MPEKETONI: A tale of donkeys & boda bodas

OLDONYO SABUK - A get together of COGS